COVID 19: Now The 'Doubt Virus' Must Be Exterminated!
COVID 19: Now The 'Doubt Virus' Must Be Exterminated!
৯ আগস্ট ২০২০ ১০:০৭ অপরাহ্ণ
Common people mostly have fickle minds; they're always guided by what they need to believe, often to their advantage. once they are worried, frightened, and clueless about the longer term they're most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last six months people everywhere the world are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not such a lot due to the deadly effects of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it's brought in its wake. They desperately got to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and thus they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that 'COVID 19 may be a hoax, it's nothing quite an 'annual influenza'. Thus the 'doubt virus' is made and therefore the social media always helps it spread-at times much faster than the killer virus. Perhaps the essential impulses for skepticism stem from the fact that quite 80% of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only the elderly with co-morbidity are most vulnerable which on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% apart from some countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes children too and anyone is often infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated within us, as always, where extraordinarily 'democratic' sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the start symbolizing these with the 'agenda' of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds within the US of which we'll not make an outline here just to stop vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We'd only wish to mention here that this writer got a social media forward giving a link to a piece of writing by some 'enlightened soul' who took pains of great arguments to 'prove' that the pandemic may be a 'political hoax'. As we mentioned earlier tons of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none aside from a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged an FIR alleging that only an 'annual influenza' has been labeled as an epidemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions within the state driving news channels asking the hapless folk about their 'doubts' on the COVID 19 infections instead of destroying the dilemma.
Now, this 'annual influenza' theory breaks down at the essential premise itself: if that's so then this phenomenon must be occurring per annum, and why then this year should be so different! Governments needn't have gone on an emergency drive to make more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this 'annual influenza' a number of which we narrate below as arguments to interrupt such sorts of fake and motivated views:
1. allow us to take the instance of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring tons of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement. After being successful keep the infected numbers below 100,000 the country remains fearing a second outbreak and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India also can be explained as a neighborhood of its apparent desperation. Annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, the USA, and Brazil suffer such a lot from annual influenza that killed quite half 1,000,000 thus far and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German minister of finance kill over Corona worries? How one is to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen during a few countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the planet Health Organization keep it up telling 'lies' that the new Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that might probably stay for quite two years and therefore the worst is yet to return despite whatever campaigns or actions happening or taken against it? We appeared to have accepted within the beginning that this pandemic is that the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet keep it up taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse than the good Depression? especially, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming major power like India should risk whatever it's achieved in development thus far.
5. Why is such a mad rush everywhere the world to fast-track the production of a vaccine against only annual flu? a minimum of such intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever which will be.
In a previous couple of days, new cases in India are rising at nearly 25000 per day with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and therefore the death rate is fortunately still low; the priority being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this significant juncture, we should always not attend to conspiracy theories and faux news. Such theories have obvious goals: to get publicity for unknown persons or groups or to form a kill in terms of profit. for instance, if a link for a piece of writing with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivating media outlets consider the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.
Therefore, we must not fall prey to such propaganda at any cost. it's heartening to ascertain that several social media platforms have taken steps to neutralize the conspiracy threads. In reference to India, we'd like to mention here that the govt should find time to brief the media frequently because it had been doing earlier to explain facts and quell doubts rather than crouching behind the rising numbers. Similarly, most respected bodies just like the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) should desist from publicizing dates for the production of vaccines. The announcement by the ICMR that a vaccine could be made possible by the 15th of August 2020 has furthered the doubts already created with even sensible people and therefore the media asking why should the ICMR be in such a rush. The mantra at this hour must be to fight the killer virus with the combined might of the planet and to defeat it preventing its possible second wave.
Chinmay Chakravarty may be a professional specialized within the creative field with over 20 years of experience in journalistic writing, media co-ordination, film scriptwriting, film dubbing, film & video making, management of international film festivals and editing of books & journals. Proficient in providing professional services in these related fields. Was a politician of Indian Information Service and superannuated from the post of Director, Press Information Bureau, Kolkata in November 2019. Published his first solo book 'Laugh and Let Laugh' in 2017.